Pirates@Home logo

Pirates@Home

Berkeley Open Infrastructure
BOINC!
for Network Computing
Home Help Status Forums Glossary Account

testing Apple Installer

log in

Advanced search

Message boards : Announcements : testing Apple Installer

Author Message
Profile Wormholio
Captain
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 6 Jun 04
United States
Away
Credit: 4,065.6
RAC: 0.00
Joined: Jun 6, 2004
Verified: Mar 13, 2008
Dubloons: 3
Pieces of Eight: 10
Punishment: Aztec curse
Message 917 - Posted: 17 Jan 2005 | 17:27:39 UTC
Last modified: 17 Jan 2005 | 17:32:27 UTC

On the 'Download BOINC core client' page you will now find a link for BOINC version 4.33 for Mac. This is actually 4.13 packaged up with an AppleScript installation script. The idea is to make it as easy as possible for a novice Mac user to install and run BOINC.

This is a crude rough draft, but it works (at least for me). There is much room for improvment and tweaking, but first we need to test it a bit and get feedback.

Any apple users still on the Pirates crew? If so, please try it out if you please. Thank you.

____________
-- Eric Myers

"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- William Butler Yeats

Profile tiker
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 27 Jun 04
Canada
Canada
Credit: 166.4
RAC: 0.00
Joined: Jun 27, 2004
Verified: Mar 13, 2010
Punishment: Canon Fodder
Message 919 - Posted: 17 Jan 2005 | 17:41:45 UTC - in response to Message 917.

Not related but kinda... the news update for this broke your XML feed - gives a parsing error now.
____________

Click image for full project list.

Profile Wormholio
Captain
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 6 Jun 04
United States
Away
Credit: 4,065.6
RAC: 0.00
Joined: Jun 6, 2004
Verified: Mar 13, 2008
Dubloons: 3
Pieces of Eight: 10
Punishment: Aztec curse
Message 920 - Posted: 17 Jan 2005 | 20:03:34 UTC - in response to Message 919.

> Not related but kinda... the news update for this broke your XML feed - gives
> a parsing error now.

Ooops. Wrong kind of single quote. Fixed now.

Maybe we need a separate forum called "RSS problems". :-)

We may be getting a new news (not forum) management system soon.
If it works well then you will not even notice it.

____________
-- Eric Myers

"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- William Butler Yeats

Shaktai
Send message
Joined: 20 Jul 04
United States
Team MacNN
Credit: 0.5
RAC: 0.00
Joined: Jul 20, 2004
Verified: NEVER
Punishment: Mess Duty
Message 961 - Posted: 23 Jan 2005 | 7:26:26 UTC
Last modified: 23 Jan 2005 | 8:00:33 UTC

Okay, I just heard about this in another forum, so came back over to check it out. Very nice little script. Made the whole process completely effortless. Forced me to look up my Pirates key though.

Short of a full blown GUI interface, that script works well for first install. Everything went smoothly on my iBook 600, and it was quick and easy. A definite benefit for some Mac Users. Node 7317 was successfully installed and started up. Had to use the Control C to quit, but then restarted fine double-clicking the run_boinc icon. Opened a new window instead of using the terminal window already open.

Question. Why do you install in Library, instead of in Applications? Most average users won't know to look for it there if they quit.

What would also be good is to install either a start and stop script icon on the desktop or in the dock (users option), especially if you are going to place the program folder, in the library folder.

Didn't get any work though... wait this is Pirate's, aaarghh, someone else already stole the booty.

I posted a link in the MacNN forums. Maybe you'll get a few more to try it out.

____________

Michael Warzecha
Send message
Joined: 24 Jan 05
United States
Credit: 0.0
RAC: 0.00
Joined: Jan 24, 2005
Verified: NEVER
Message 974 - Posted: 24 Jan 2005 | 12:55:58 UTC - in response to Message 961.

Wormholio -

Just saw Shaktai's post at MacNN and got my BOINC client set up for Einstein, but I'm getting no work units yet. I'm very interested in this project. Gotta run, late for work.

Zack
____________

Profile Wormholio
Captain
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 6 Jun 04
United States
Away
Credit: 4,065.6
RAC: 0.00
Joined: Jun 6, 2004
Verified: Mar 13, 2008
Dubloons: 3
Pieces of Eight: 10
Punishment: Aztec curse
Message 975 - Posted: 24 Jan 2005 | 13:54:19 UTC - in response to Message 961.

> Question. Why do you install in Library, instead of in Applications? Most
> average users won't know to look for it there if they quit.

BOINC does everything in one directory(folder) and it seemed logical to put that under Library. Having it all in one folder will also make it easier to upgrade. But it might be useful to have a link(alias) to the executable for users to double click on to start things. I'll see what I can do.

In the longer term we would like to have one "app" in the system Applications folder, but that will take a lot more work to build BOINC with Xcode. For now, this little script makes it easier than downloading the binary executable and setting everything up by hand.


> What would also be good is to install either a start and stop script icon on
> the desktop or in the dock (users option), especially if you are going to
> place the program folder, in the library folder.

Or better yet a control panel under System Preferences (someday?)

____________
-- Eric Myers

"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- William Butler Yeats

Shaktai
Send message
Joined: 20 Jul 04
United States
Team MacNN
Credit: 0.5
RAC: 0.00
Joined: Jul 20, 2004
Verified: NEVER
Punishment: Mess Duty
Message 985 - Posted: 25 Jan 2005 | 7:02:59 UTC - in response to Message 975.


> BOINC does everything in one directory(folder) and it seemed logical to put
> that under Library. Having it all in one folder will also make it easier to
> upgrade. But it might be useful to have a link(alias) to the executable
> for users to double click on to start things. I'll see what I can do.

But you can place the one folder in applications. Quicken, Nanosaur, Graphic converer, and many others already do that. That way lesser experienced users will know where to look. I had no problem finding it, but I know that deviation from the norm would be a problem for some. Library is usually used for support files. You do not have to have an executable package to place it in Applications. But then maybe that is must my way of thinking. (I actually keep my boinc folder on the desktop, just for convenience, but that is strictly personal preference)

> In the longer term we would like to have one "app" in the system Applications
> folder, but that will take a lot more work to build BOINC with Xcode. For
> now, this little script makes it easier than downloading the binary executable
> and setting everything up by hand.

Now that would be very cool. In time. First things first.

> Or better yet a control panel under System Preferences (someday?)

Now there is an idea I hadn't thought of. Of course if you could build BOINC with Xcode, then you wouldn't need the control panel, you would have standard menu controls.

Thanks for the work you've done. The script alone should be a real benefit to many Mac Users who are intimidated by the command line. Especially if they only want to run one project.

____________

Profile Wormholio
Captain
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 6 Jun 04
United States
Away
Credit: 4,065.6
RAC: 0.00
Joined: Jun 6, 2004
Verified: Mar 13, 2008
Dubloons: 3
Pieces of Eight: 10
Punishment: Aztec curse
Message 993 - Posted: 25 Jan 2005 | 17:01:28 UTC - in response to Message 985.

>
> But you can place the one folder in applications. Quicken, Nanosaur, Graphic
> converer, and many others already do that. That way lesser experienced users
> will know where to look. I had no problem finding it, but I know that
> deviation from the norm would be a problem for some. Library is usually used
> for support files.

We want this to be as easy as possible for casual users, and follow the "apple way", so if you think that Applications is the better place to put this then I will do so in the next version. Hopefuly we can also make the scripts better at figuring out which folder it is.

____________
-- Eric Myers

"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- William Butler Yeats

Shaktai
Send message
Joined: 20 Jul 04
United States
Team MacNN
Credit: 0.5
RAC: 0.00
Joined: Jul 20, 2004
Verified: NEVER
Punishment: Mess Duty
Message 1020 - Posted: 27 Jan 2005 | 6:10:17 UTC

Well the OS X way would be to default all programs to the applications folder, but still provide an option for power users to select their own directory/folder. Don't know if you can do that easily with scripting though.

It is still a cool as is.

____________

Profile Wormholio
Captain
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 6 Jun 04
United States
Away
Credit: 4,065.6
RAC: 0.00
Joined: Jun 6, 2004
Verified: Mar 13, 2008
Dubloons: 3
Pieces of Eight: 10
Punishment: Aztec curse
Message 1314 - Posted: 13 Feb 2005 | 19:45:07 UTC

A new version of the Apple installer has been put on Pirates@Home for testing. This version has:

* actually shows the LGPL license and will not proceede until you push "Accept"

* preserves the projects folder, which means previous work is preserved

Still more to do to it, but this is an improvement.

____________
-- Eric Myers

"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- William Butler Yeats

Profile Wormholio
Captain
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 6 Jun 04
United States
Away
Credit: 4,065.6
RAC: 0.00
Joined: Jun 6, 2004
Verified: Mar 13, 2008
Dubloons: 3
Pieces of Eight: 10
Punishment: Aztec curse
Message 1315 - Posted: 13 Feb 2005 | 19:50:57 UTC - in response to Message 961.

> Question. Why do you install in Library, instead of in Applications? Most
> average users won't know to look for it there if they quit.


I've given this some more thought and discussed it with others, and given serious consideration to installing in "My Application". But in the end I decided against this. Right now it makes sense to put this in the user's Library. That will be the directory in which the boinc executable is run for each user.

Right now the installer will give you the option of running BOINC at login and running it right away, so the user does not have to know to go double click on Library/BOINC/Run_BOINC to get it started (though that is what you have to do to start it manually from the GUI right now).

In the future there should be an Apple "application" for the BOINC Manager. It will live in /Applications (or wherever else the user has installed it). When a user starts it up it will look for a BOINC folder in ~/Library, and offer to install it there if not found. If it is found, you can manage it with the BOINC manager, and all users have equal access to it.

So I think this is the best way to do things now so that we can get to that point in the future.
____________
-- Eric Myers

"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- William Butler Yeats

Shaktai
Send message
Joined: 20 Jul 04
United States
Team MacNN
Credit: 0.5
RAC: 0.00
Joined: Jul 20, 2004
Verified: NEVER
Punishment: Mess Duty
Message 1335 - Posted: 16 Feb 2005 | 5:34:45 UTC - in response to Message 1315.

> In the future there should be an Apple "application" for the BOINC Manager.
> It will live in /Applications (or wherever else the user has installed it).
> When a user starts it up it will look for a BOINC folder in ~/Library, and
> offer to install it there if not found. If it is found, you can manage it
> with the BOINC manager, and all users have equal access to it.
>
> So I think this is the best way to do things now so that we can get to that
> point in the future.

Sounds like a good plan.

____________

Post to thread

Message boards : Announcements : testing Apple Installer

Home Help Status Forums Glossary Account


Return to Pirates@Home main page


Copyright © 2020 Capt. Jack Sparrow