Pirates@Home logo

Pirates@Home

Berkeley Open Infrastructure
BOINC!
for Network Computing
Home Help Status Forums Glossary Account

hello 6.05

log in

Advanced search

Message boards : Pirate Applications : hello 6.05

Author Message
Profile Contact
Volunteer tester
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 29 Aug 04
Canada
BOINC Synergy
Credit: 37,127.0
RAC: 0.00
Joined: Aug 29, 2004
Verified: Nov 10, 2011
Dubloons: 3
Pieces of Eight: 3
Punishment: Misfit
Message 8339 - Posted: 4 Feb 2009 | 20:56:12 UTC

Based only on a single job, looks to me like this version won't run on Win98.

[size=-2]04-Feb-09 12:06:10 PM|Pirates@Home|Started download of hello_6.05_windows_intelx86.exe
04-Feb-09 12:08:03 PM|Pirates@Home|Finished download of hello_6.05_windows_intelx86.exe
04-Feb-09 12:08:05 PM|Pirates@Home|Starting wu_1233764408_166_1
04-Feb-09 12:08:05 PM|Pirates@Home|[error] Process creation failed: A device attached to the system is not functioning. (0x1f)
04-Feb-09 12:08:05 PM|Pirates@Home|[error] Process creation failed: A device attached to the system is not functioning. (0x1f)
04-Feb-09 12:08:05 PM|Pirates@Home|[error] Process creation failed: A device attached to the system is not functioning. (0x1f)
04-Feb-09 12:08:06 PM|Pirates@Home|[error] Process creation failed: A device attached to the system is not functioning. (0x1f)
04-Feb-09 12:08:06 PM|Pirates@Home|[error] Process creation failed: A device attached to the system is not functioning. (0x1f)
04-Feb-09 12:08:07 PM|Pirates@Home|Computation for task wu_1233764408_166_1 finished
04-Feb-09 12:08:07 PM|Pirates@Home|Output file wu_1233764408_166_1_0 for task wu_1233764408_166_1 absent[/size]
____________
have fun

Profile Daniel Michel
Volunteer tester
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 27 Jan 06
United States
The Final Front Ear
Credit: 1,904.0
RAC: 0.00
Joined: Jan 27, 2006
Verified: NEVER
Dubloons: 3
Punishment: Mess Duty
Message 8340 - Posted: 5 Feb 2009 | 1:41:30 UTC

6.05 WU's are being flagged and removed by Norton Internet Security...I just checked and noticed at least 4 instances of this...They are listed in my results as "compute error"...I have sent a report to Norton and hopefully they will investigate and find this is not malware.
____________

Profile Wormholio
Captain
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 6 Jun 04
United States
Away
Credit: 4,065.6
RAC: 0.00
Joined: Jun 6, 2004
Verified: Mar 13, 2008
Dubloons: 3
Pieces of Eight: 10
Punishment: Aztec curse
Message 8341 - Posted: 5 Feb 2009 | 12:34:37 UTC - in response to Message 8339.

Contact wrote:
Based only on a single job, looks to me like this version won't run on Win98.

[size=-2]04-Feb-09 12:06:10 PM|Pirates@Home|Started download of hello_6.05_windows_intelx86.exe
04-Feb-09 12:08:03 PM|Pirates@Home|Finished download of hello_6.05_windows_intelx86.exe
04-Feb-09 12:08:05 PM|Pirates@Home|Starting wu_1233764408_166_1
04-Feb-09 12:08:05 PM|Pirates@Home|[error] Process creation failed: A device attached to the system is not functioning. (0x1f)
04-Feb-09 12:08:05 PM|Pirates@Home|[error] Process creation failed: A device attached to the system is not functioning. (0x1f)
04-Feb-09 12:08:05 PM|Pirates@Home|[error] Process creation failed: A device attached to the system is not functioning. (0x1f)
04-Feb-09 12:08:06 PM|Pirates@Home|[error] Process creation failed: A device attached to the system is not functioning. (0x1f)
04-Feb-09 12:08:06 PM|Pirates@Home|[error] Process creation failed: A device attached to the system is not functioning. (0x1f)
04-Feb-09 12:08:07 PM|Pirates@Home|Computation for task wu_1233764408_166_1 finished
04-Feb-09 12:08:07 PM|Pirates@Home|Output file wu_1233764408_166_1_0 for task wu_1233764408_166_1 absent[/size]

Or perhaps Windows 98 won't work with CUDA? The device that isn't functioning could be a non-existant graphics card co-processor. It might be interesting to try the newest alpha test client.
____________
-- Eric Myers

"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- William Butler Yeats

Profile Wormholio
Captain
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 6 Jun 04
United States
Away
Credit: 4,065.6
RAC: 0.00
Joined: Jun 6, 2004
Verified: Mar 13, 2008
Dubloons: 3
Pieces of Eight: 10
Punishment: Aztec curse
Message 8342 - Posted: 5 Feb 2009 | 13:19:19 UTC - in response to Message 8340.

Daniel Michel wrote:
6.05 WU's are being flagged and removed by Norton Internet Security...I just checked and noticed at least 4 instances of this...They are listed in my results as "compute error"...I have sent a report to Norton and hopefully they will investigate and find this is not malware.

I wonder what it is that sets off the malware triggers for Norton? This is the simplest BOINC app there is, and doesn't even have graphics. Though perhaps there is still code in the simplest app to detect keyboard activity, and that is being seen as spy-ware.

For the record, this version of hello was built on a newer computer (named frodo) which runs Windows XP, and compiled with MSVC++2008. This is to replace the older Windows 2000 machine with MSVC++2003 (named bilbo) that I've used in the past to build the Windows apps. The newer machine also has Symantec Antivirus installed with a recent signatures file (via Live Updates). I also installed Malwarebytes and scanned the machine and found nothing.

____________
-- Eric Myers

"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- William Butler Yeats

Profile Wormholio
Captain
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 6 Jun 04
United States
Away
Credit: 4,065.6
RAC: 0.00
Joined: Jun 6, 2004
Verified: Mar 13, 2008
Dubloons: 3
Pieces of Eight: 10
Punishment: Aztec curse
Message 8343 - Posted: 5 Feb 2009 | 13:27:41 UTC

I scanned the Windows executable with VirusTotal and got 0/39 warnings:

http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/3f62fe8e802372c8b19c95e66dae9f62
____________
-- Eric Myers

"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- William Butler Yeats

Profile Contact
Volunteer tester
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 29 Aug 04
Canada
BOINC Synergy
Credit: 37,127.0
RAC: 0.00
Joined: Aug 29, 2004
Verified: Nov 10, 2011
Dubloons: 3
Pieces of Eight: 3
Punishment: Misfit
Message 8349 - Posted: 6 Feb 2009 | 2:53:14 UTC - in response to Message 8341.

Wormholio wrote:
Or perhaps Windows 98 won't work with CUDA? The device that isn't functioning could be a non-existant graphics card co-processor.

Yes. Win98 client manager shows "Can't load library cudart.dll" but all still works ok and BOINC alpha or seti tasks, for example, will run without error.

Wormholio wrote:
It might be interesting to try the newest alpha test client.
Same error with 6.6.4

Profile champ
Volunteer tester
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 8 Sep 06
Germany
SETI.Germany
Credit: 3,433.0
RAC: 0.00
Joined: Sep 8, 2006
Verified: Aug 3, 2010
Dubloons: 3
Punishment: Mess Duty
Message 8351 - Posted: 6 Feb 2009 | 8:02:16 UTC

All results are in pending? Wonder why.
____________

Profile Wormholio
Captain
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 6 Jun 04
United States
Away
Credit: 4,065.6
RAC: 0.00
Joined: Jun 6, 2004
Verified: Mar 13, 2008
Dubloons: 3
Pieces of Eight: 10
Punishment: Aztec curse
Message 8352 - Posted: 6 Feb 2009 | 12:42:48 UTC - in response to Message 8351.

champ wrote:
All results are in pending? Wonder why.

There had been a run of 'cube' before we started running 'hello', and there were stragglers. I ran the validator and assimilator for cube overnight to catch them. When I switch them over to 'hello' those will be processed and credit awarded.

____________
-- Eric Myers

"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- William Butler Yeats

Profile Misfit
Son of a Gunn
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 24 Feb 05
United States
BOINC Synergy
Credit: 2,127.4
RAC: 0.00
Joined: Feb 24, 2005
Verified: Apr 18, 2010
Dubloons: 3
Punishment: Misfit
Message 8362 - Posted: 7 Feb 2009 | 8:38:31 UTC - in response to Message 8352.

Wormholio wrote:
champ wrote:
All results are in pending? Wonder why.

There had been a run of 'cube' before we started running 'hello', and there were stragglers. I ran the validator and assimilator for cube overnight to catch them. When I switch them over to 'hello' those will be processed and credit awarded.

Gotta have those 0.01 credits!
____________

Profile Stan Pleban
Volunteer tester
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 6 Jan 08
United States
Mensa
Credit: 1,340.1
RAC: 0.00
Joined: Jan 6, 2008
Verified: Nov 7, 2011
Dubloons: 3
Pieces of Eight: 10
Punishment: Mess Duty
Message 8388 - Posted: 10 Feb 2009 | 1:01:04 UTC

just a question??? what does it mean when it says "Memory Leaks detected" ???


<core_client_version>6.4.5</core_client_version>
<![CDATA[
<stderr_txt>
Hello, stderr!
goodbye!
called boinc_finish


**********
**********

Memory Leaks Detected!!!

Memory Statistics:
0 bytes in 0 Free Blocks.
194 bytes in 3 Normal Blocks.
556 bytes in 2 CRT Blocks.
0 bytes in 0 Ignore Blocks.
0 bytes in 0 Client Blocks.
Largest number used: 6446 bytes.
Total allocations: 22830 bytes.

Dumping objects ->
..\..\api\boinc_api.cpp(173) : {57} normal block at 0x00362C88, 4 bytes long.
Data: < 8 > 00 00 38 00
..\..\lib\parse.cpp(141) : {56} normal block at 0x003655F8, 186 bytes long.
Data: <<project_prefere> 3C 70 72 6F 6A 65 63 74 5F 70 72 65 66 65 72 65
{46} normal block at 0x00362C58, 4 bytes long.
Data: <(A6 > 28 41 36 00
Object dump complete.


</stderr_txt>
]]>

Validate state Initial
Claimed credit 0.028063756705695
Granted credit 0
application version 6.05

Profile Wormholio
Captain
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 6 Jun 04
United States
Away
Credit: 4,065.6
RAC: 0.00
Joined: Jun 6, 2004
Verified: Mar 13, 2008
Dubloons: 3
Pieces of Eight: 10
Punishment: Aztec curse
Message 8390 - Posted: 10 Feb 2009 | 1:41:51 UTC - in response to Message 8388.

Stan Pleban wrote:
just a question??? what does it mean when it says "Memory Leaks detected" ???

There are places in the application where memory is allocated, and ideally that memory is freed up when it's no longer needed. If that's not the case, it's possible for the app to keep allocating memory over and over again, until it uses up a substantial amount of available memory. Until recently the Firefox browser was pretty bad about this.

I turned on a diagnotic check in the app to check for memory that had not been given back at the time the app ended. This shows that there was some, but it also shows that there wasn't very much. It's not a cause for concern, but it is something the BOINC developers might want to check, either just to clean up the code, or to see if they missed something.

These checks are normally turned off for production applications. That's why you don't see this in Einstein@Home or SETI@home apps.
____________
-- Eric Myers

"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- William Butler Yeats

Post to thread

Message boards : Pirate Applications : hello 6.05

Home Help Status Forums Glossary Account


Return to Pirates@Home main page


Copyright © 2017 Capt. Jack Sparrow